The second wave of Coronavirus continues in India, and the country is persistently seeing around 350,000 new infections a day. Due to the massive rise in cases, there is a demand for strong medication. But, unfortunately, the effects of such drugs are giving birth to a new fungal infection.
Mucormycosis, also known as Black Fungus, is an infection from the micromycetes group of fungi. Although it’s rare, it still has been around for decades. Such an infection mostly affects people with a low immune system due to excessive use of steroids.
As per the claims from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Black Fungus is an infrequent fungal infection caused by a group of moulds known as mucormycosis. However, countries like India and China have witnessed such an infection, especially patients with diabetes, cancer, HIV AIDS. In addition, people who survived Covid-19 with health issues like kidney problems, diabetes, and cancer are more prone to fall victim to this deadly infection. Such a thing also occurs on the skin after a cut, burn, or other types of skin injury.
Thus, with the help of this write-up, you will get to know about the causes, symptoms, treatment, and prevention of this fatal infection. Have an informational read ahead.
When mucor mould is exposed to the natural environment like soil, plants, manure, and decaying fruits and vegetables, it causes this infection. Such a thing is found in the soil, air, and mucus, and noses of healthy people. It causes by supplying unhygienic oxygen to Covid patients in many places combined with improper use of steroids in the treatment of Covid-19.
People with low immunity power, unhealthy therapy, and uncontrolled diabetes are more at risk for this infection. However, this infection is non-contagious and does not transmit from one person to another.
Symptoms of this infection depend upon where the fungus is growing on the body. Book an online consultation with a healthcare professional from the list of doctors in Kolkata available in online listing portals for your need during this time.
1. Discoloration of oral tissues
2. Stuffy nose
3. Swelling of the face
4. Dark circles below the eyes
5. Feeling of discomfort
Black fungus symptoms arising in the sinus and brain are known as rhinocerebral mucormycosis.
1. One side face swelling
3. Nasal or sinus congestion
4. Black lesions start forming on the nasal bridge or upper inside of the mouth that very soon becomes severe.
Symptoms arising in the lungs are known as pulmonary mucormycosis.
2. Chest pain
3. Shortness of breath
4. Skin mucormycosis or cutaneous can cause blisters and ulcers. In addition, the entire infected area might turn black. Other symptoms are excessive redness, pain, warmth, and swelling around the wound.
1. Abdominal pain
2. Nausea and vomiting
3. Gastrointestinal bleeding
Such an infection usually occurs in people who are already sick from other types of medical conditions. In this case, it’s difficult to determine which symptoms are related to mucormycosis. Patients suffering from disseminated mucormycosis in the brain developmental status changes or coma.
This infection can cause anytime to the Covid-19 patients, either during their stay at the hospitals or a couple of days after getting discharged. Cornavarius damages the airway mucosa and blood vessels. It also increases the serum iron that plays a vital role in the growth of fungus.
Medication facilities like steroids increase blood sugar. In addition, long-term ventilation reduces a patient’s immunity power. Finally, there are chances of the virus being transmitted through the humidifier water given along with oxygen. Thus, all these together make mucormycosis infections.
The prime treatment for this fungal infection is Amphotericin-B. It’s an antifungal injection. If it occurs, the patients must be kept under the strict supervision of eye surgeons, ENT specialists, and neurosurgeons since the infection affect different parts of the body simultaneously.
A patient suffering from this infection needs immediate surgical debulking. The entire nasal cavity gets scoured out. All the fungal and necrotic tissue will be removed. Possibility of serious surgery to the extent of exenteration of the eye socket contents might be needed. One must undergo surgical intervention must be applied few hours after diagnosis.
As a life-saving procedure, all the infected tissues must be removed surgically. Unfortunately, due to this, some people lose their eyesight, and in some cases, even the upper jaw. Patients might have to require an intravenous anti-fungal procedure continuing for four to six weeks.
As we have known about the treatment of Black Fungus, let’s proceed further into how to prevent it.
1. Maintain oral hygiene. Soon after recovering from Covid-19, the intake of steroids and other medication procedures leads to the growth of fungus and bacteria in the mouth and thus, causes an issue in the lungs and brain. Therefore, brush at least twice a day using oral clean-ups. In addition, try to follow oral hygiene tips in your daily life.
2. Patients must change their toothbrushes immediately after testing Covid negative and continue rinsing their mouth on a regular basis. Rinsing your mouth helps to remove the daily germs from your gums formed after eating any food item.
3. Disinfect the toothbrush frequently. Use tongue cleaner with the antiseptic cleaner to clean your tongue. A Covid patient survivor must not keep their brush in the same holder along with your family members.
4. While checking for oxygen, water required for humidification must be sterile, and there should be no leakage from the humidifier.
5. Once you are discharged, stay indoors as much as possible.
6. Make sure to keep the surroundings of your house clean, dust-free, and damp-free.
7. Avoid gardening and working with soils. Soil and plants are more prone to fungi. If needed, wear masks, gloves, and boots.
Finally, we have reached the end part of this informational blog. However, I hope the above details about this infection were beneficial for you. Consult with your doctor immediately if you face any of the symptoms. Do not panic and remain stress-free following all the necessary precautions.
Are you in search of the best hospital in Kolkata? Then, search on multiple online business listing portals. Get a list of verified and best hospitals near you via these portals as per your location, budget, need, etc.